Tuesday 23 March 2010

Absa Cape Epic Stage 1


1200 riders rolled out from the start of the 2010 Absa Cape Epic. When i say rolled, i mean attacked. The first hour waa flat-stick balls to the wall racing. At 9am it was actually cloudy. I struggled to get my heart rate below 90% which although not uncomfortable, is somewhat unsustainable. As i found out when i blew my doors off at 50km on a 117km stage.

Then the sun came out and i was in a whole world of trouble! Despite the temperature being 30deg i found myself covered in goosepimples and freezing cold -my teeth were nearly chattering.

I had to have several 'moments' by the roadside and was a little bit sick at one of them. The final 11km of the stage runs along a railway line, between the tracks. Ever ridden pave? Doesn't come close.
Dave and i rolled in after about 6.5hrs riding time but closer to 8hrs on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment